Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Holding Pattern: The Band, Back Row Show, Petra Haden

In the continuous attempt to get the word out, I registered with google and then did a search to find my "Holding Pattern" blog. No luck, although I did find an awesome band. Here is the original art from Holding Pattern's 1981 release.

My brother Dave has been an aspiring filmmaker for most of his adult life. About a year ago, he screened his first feature film at Royal Oak's Main Theatre. The film, Plastic Tacos, centered around three wanna-be professional disc golfers. It was a hit and since then he has teamed up with two of the actors to produce comedies. One of their shorts made it into the finals of a promotional campaign for It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, an FX sitcom. The 'dudes' put together a website to promote their work; called The Back Row Show.

The Back Row Show: Dave Eyman and Mike Pickard in Housewarming

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I'm an old fart, so I like to keep abreast of what the kids are into these days. In doing so,I subscribed to the Onion AV Club. Also, because I enjoyed the book The Tenacity of the Cockroach, in which they interviewed personalities that have a cult following. Some of whom, you never hear from. Anyway, they featured jazz singer Petra Haden. I would have glossed right over it had it been a set of worn-out standards made popular of late by the likes of Rod Stewart and Barry Manalow. But no, to my surprise it was the entire album of The Who's The Who Sell Out. Now this is a novel approach, especially because she does it a capella ala The Swingle Singers. C'est Magnifique!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Petra Haden Sings: The Who Sell Out

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home